Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tech Trick - Using Thinglink in the Classroom

I was busy, busy this year learning new technology tools, trying them out, and seeing what worked in the classroom.  I LOVE anything that enhances what I already do and makes learning a little more engaging for the kids.  So, when I learned about using Thinglink at a CUE Rockstar Teacher Camp, I knew instantly it was something that I could use.  If you have not yet had the pleasure of attending one of these awesome camps, you should jump on board that train as soon as possible.

So first, what is Thinglink?  It is a free, web-based site, where you upload a photo, then tag the photo with little icons.  Each icon can become a link to anywhere!  You can link to photos, video, websites, or anywhere on the web.  It can then be shared or embedded into your website or blog.  Here is one that I created for the Redwood Forest.

As you drag over the tags, you can see what each one represents and what type of file it links to.  It is a great way to compile all of your resources on a subject into one place.  Once you have created it, you can then accompany it with graphic organizers for the kids to fill out as they explore.

I can't wait for my next Thinglink.  I saw this great idea on Pinterest for a group photo from Ephotozine...
I thought it would be fun to try and recreate this using a cardboard box and my new students.  Then, instead of a boring worksheet where they write their yearly goals, we put a dot on each of them and link to their goals.  Then, it can be embedded into our blog or website and can easily be referred to throughout the year by the students, the parents, and me.  

I highly suggest you do some playing around with Thinglink.  The possibilities are endless! 




No comments:

Post a Comment