Thursday, January 31, 2013

Grading Comprehension Questions

So I see about 100 kids each day for Reading.  There are three groups, reading three different books.  Every week they are assigned chapters from those books and about 6 comprehension questions to go with them.  They answer those comprehension questions in their Reading Response Notebooks.  If you do the math, this is how many comprehension questions I would be grading each week...

100 kids X 6 comprehension questions = 600 short answer questions every week

I don't know about you, but I just don't have the time for that.  So here is one way I manage it.  First, make yourself some of those "ticket out the door" posters.  I have 5 or 6 for each group because each poster is for one question.
Mine are getting a little faded as they have been up all year.

Then, I put the kids into groups of 2 or 3, depending on how many kids you have this would vary.  Each group gets a number.  That number is where they put their answer on the poster.  For example, if they were group #1, their answer will always go in the #1 boxes.

Each group also gets their own sticky note color.  This is more for fun and to help my eyes when looking over them.  You could just do it with plain old yellow stickies if you wanted.  Each group gets a sticky note for each question (5 questions = 5 sticky notes).

After they discuss all of their answers, they write them on the sticky note and place them in the boxes.  I can then quickly look over all of their answers for each comprehension question.

If a group has a wrong answer, I simply move the sticky note down below the board.  If they see their color sticky below the board, they know their group needs to fix an answer.  If they still have all 5 sticky notes up, their group gets 100% on the assignment.

Sticky Note Comprehension for The Hobbit

SO MUCH FASTER than grading each one separately!

No comments:

Post a Comment